Actual Frequency Ranges of Recorders
Upper notes on large recorders and on garklein are often not really available.
Click for full-size image, better for printing
- Soprano recorder plays an octave higher than written.
- Bass recorder plays an octave higher than written.
- Playing "alto up" is the same as sopranino.
- Usual ranges for human voice: bass = E2-D4, baritone = A2-G4, tenor = D3-C5, alto = G3-F5, soprano = C4-C6.
of tenor recorder matches range of soprano voice. The "4-foot" pitch
recorders usually use is an octave above what singers use.
- Recorders which match human voice ranges are not SATB, but tenor, bass, great bass, and contrabass.